Fixed-Movable Dental Bridge, also known as Fixed Movable Partial Denture, is a dental prosthesis where the artifical tooth or teeth is rigidly supported on one side, usually on the distal end by one or more abutment teeth. On the other side, one abutment will have an intracoronal or extracoronal attachment which allows a small degree of movement between the rigid component and the other abutment.
Each abutment can be prepared independently. Consideration is given to the placement of precision attachment.
Indications for Fixed Movable Dental Bridge
When the abutment teeth are not parallel in relation to each other and the reduction needed to make them parallel would be highly destructive to the abutment teeth. The construction of large units of fixed bridge means that the complex task of parallel preparations is increased. The use of precision attachment for the separation of large uits into several smaller but manageable sections.
Advantages of Fixed Movable Bridge
Divergent abutment teeth can be used in this technique and are more conservative of tooth structure. It allows minor movements of abutments in relation to each other.
Disadvantages of Fixed Movable Bridge
Fixed Movable Dental Bridge is more demanding of lab time. The construction of a temporary bridge is more difficult due to the tilting of the abutments.
Pictures of Fixed Movable Dental Bridge
For more info about Fixed Movable Dental Bridge, please read the articles I wrote for these informative webpages:
- Fixed Moveable Fixed Partial Denture – http://costdentures.com/fixed/fixed-moveable-fixed-partial-denture/
- Fixed Movable Partial Denture – http://costdentures.com/fixed/fixed-movable-partial-denture/
- Segmented Fixed Partial Denture – http://costdentures.com/fixed/segmented-fixed-partial-denture/
For more information on the best possible Prosthodontic Treatment for your case, please consult your Dentist. “There is no online material nor website that can substitute for professional advice.”
- Remember to check back often because we are always adding new info about Fixed Movable Dental Bridge.
- This page was created on November 14 2011.
Jesus Lecitona+, DMD, MScD-Prosthodontics